Most patients are unaware that they grind their teeth. This occurs usually while they sleep. Ask yourself these simple questions if you think you grind:
- Has anyone heard your jaw moving while sleeping?
- Do you wake up with a dull headache?
- Do you wake up with an earache?
- Are your facial muscles tender and sore, especially in the morning?
- Jaw Joints hurt?
- Teeth wearing down or cracking?
- Teeth unusually sensitive?
- Teeth loosening?
If you answer, “yes” to even one of these questions, you should consult your dentist.
Many adults grind their teeth because of:
- Sleeping disorders
- Abnormal bite (Malocclusion)
- Crooked or missing teeth
Grinding can be treated with non-invasive therapy consisting of:
- Fabrication of a custom nightguard
- Application of warm compresses
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen)
- Soft diet
- Physical therapy
- Relaxation techniques to reduce stress
- Adjustment and/or restoration of an abnormal bite
If you routinely grind your teeth, please notify us so we can do a complete examination to determine the extent of your problem.