Most patients are unaware that they grind their teeth. This occurs usually while they sleep.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bruxism?
Ask yourself these simple questions if you think you grind:
- Has anyone heard your jaw moving while sleeping?
- Do you wake up with a dull headache?
- Do you wake up with an earache?
- Are your facial muscles tender and sore, especially in the morning?
- Jaw Joints hurt?
- Teeth wearing down or cracking?
- Teeth unusually sensitive?
- Teeth loosening?
If you answer, “yes” to even one of these questions, you should consult your dentist.
Why Do I Grind My Teeth?
Many adults grind their teeth because of:
- Sleeping disorders
- Abnormal bite (Malocclusion)
- Crooked or missing teeth
How Can I Stop Grinding My Teeth?
Grinding can be treated with non-invasive therapy consisting of:
- Fabrication of a custom nightguard
- Application of warm compresses
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen)
- Soft diet
- Physical therapy
- Relaxation techniques to reduce stress
- Adjustment and/or restoration of an abnormal bite
If you routinely grind your teeth, please notify us so we can do a complete examination to determine the extent of your problem.